Literary magazine databases and search engines:
- Poets&Writers. >800 mags. Search by genre, subgenre, payment.
- Submishmash. Search by genre and closest deadline.
- Duotrope. >6000 listings to submit work to & many search options. Free trial but then $5/month. They’ll also email you a list of magazines taking submissions each month.
- Literistic. Monthly list of publications and contests with impending deadlines based on preferences you provide.
Curated lists of magazines and presses:
- Entropy Magazine’s ‘Where to Submit’ list for every 2 month period. Magazines, presses, chapbooks, anthologies, etc, with short useful details next to each listing. Fantastic resource.
- Beltway Poetry Quarterly’s list of journals in the DMV
- Beltway Poetry Quarterly’s presses in the DMV
- spreadsheet of Baltimore area magazines and presses, and some others we like
- Another curated spreadsheet of journals for submission, with details, notes, deadline dates
Writing contests and opportunities:
Curated lists of general resources for writers:
- Toasted Cheese journal and writing community. Contains lists of agents, publishers, editors, writing prompts, as well as journals. Also, a great blog in their own right.
- Beltway Poetry. Check out their ‘Resources’ drop-down all the way on the right. Lists of mags, presses, grants, conferences, you name it. DMV-specific.
- Eunoia Review’s list of links for writers. No descriptions, but extensive.